1. Eat healthy. Protein builds strong muscles and gives you energy. Raw nuts (including nut butters), tofu, beans and seeds are all very excellent sources of protein. Animal proteins are not even good choices. They support animal cruelty, polution and include saturated fats and cholestrol. Not all carbs are bad for you; some are actually good for you. Some people may not like vegetables, but this is one of your key factors in your diet. All vegetables are good for you. A fruit and a toast with jelly is an excellent breakfast, and it tastes good, too. Don't eat out all the time... fast food is the worst thing you can feed your body. If you do eat out, try to order something of the guidelines above. Don't eat deep fried food either.
2. Exercise. That is one of the keys to having skinny legs. There are many things you can do:
- Walk. This is the simplest exercise. Use a step counter. This helps if you want to count the amount of steps you take each day. Try to walk about 10,000 each day.
- Run. Running will use more energy, and in turn help burn fat.
- Swim. Go to a public pool when it's not too crowded. You will have a better chance of doing this if you go in the evening. Do some laps doing freestyle. You will end up building more than leg muscle, you will also build arm muscle too. Swimming is an excellent way to burn legs fat.
5. When running, choose a route that is particularly flat. Up-hill running builds the quad and calve muscles; they are made for fighting the forces of gravity.
6. Try Pilates. Pilates is an ideal exercise for building LEAN leg muscles. The stretching and core exercises burn fat in the most hated trouble areas and it is perfect for people who don't want to be on show while exercising. A mat, a DVD and a bottle of water is all you need.
7. Go Simple. Sometimes the simpler the exercise, the more effective it is. To work your calves, gently bounce up and down on your toes. This is an excellent, yet extremely simple way to build your calf muscles.
8. Use a Stability Ball. While lying on a mat or bed, place the ball in front of you. Place your legs on top of the ball, lift your hips up, and slowly roll the ball in towards your hips until you can no longer do anymore. DO NOT let your hips fall to the floor.
- If you overwork yourself, you will risk permanent injury.
- There is no such thing as "spot reduction", meaning you can't target areas that you want to reduce fat in. But, you CAN tone up and shape up your legs, which ultimately lead to their better appearance.